Skip to main content

The Teacher Becomes the Student

My wife asked how my first day was going so I sent her this selfie. Only a picture
could capture it. 
First, let me tell you that this won’t be your typical Power BI or tech blog that you usually see.

Let me set the scene.

It was a year and a half ago when I got lucky enough to be introduced to Brian Knight, the CEO of Pragmatic Works over lunch. He had heard from a mutual friend that I was looking to make a career move after teaching Algebra for the past 15 years. Brian started telling me about the company and all the different facets it encompasses. From training, sales, consulting, and app development.

Mind you at this time I had never heard of Microsoft Power BI, SQL Server, Microsoft Azure, or have any experience with coding. He told me an opportunity at his company may present itself in the future where I could transfer over my teaching skills into the training side of the above-mentioned programs.

I immediately got to work with their On-Demand Learning system to learn as much as possible while still teaching full time, private tutoring 9 hours a week, chasing around a 1 and half-year-old, and giving my wife the love and attention she deserves. I am not going to lie to you that it was extremely overwhelming when I googled PowerBI, watched some YouTube videos, and played around with the program. I became so overwhelmed that I didn’t know if moving into a career field like this would be the right fit for me. My wife encouraged me to keep an open mind and just learn as much as I can from the online tutorials in case the opportunity presented itself.

It’s a good thing I listened to her because in January I was able to interview for an opening junior trainer for Pragmatic Works. I was nervous in the interview because I still knew my level of understanding was nowhere near where it needs to be. I broke into a cold sweat when Brian and Devin presented a module from one of their training classes to me and then asked me to then present it five minutes later! Luckily, I didn’t land flat on my face and gave a convincing training. A week later they offered me the job. I was elated to get the call, but then that anxiety of learning a completely new skill crept right back in. How was a 15-year veteran math teacher going to become a Power BI trainer? Well, fortunately, I was hired by a company that has a whole division for training people who don’t have these skills.

Before my first day of work, Devin Knight, the training director, laid out a plan for me to follow that would educate me on Power BI with the courses they have already developed here at Pragmatic Works. I have just finished my first week by completing the Power BI Pro On-Demand Learning class. Wow! Their videos were so much more helpful than the YouTube videos I could find.

I am still nowhere near mastering this program.  As an educator I know that repetition, studying, taking detailed notes, and not being afraid to ask for help is what turns a student into being a success. I plan on doing all of those things on my journey to learning Power BI and the other programs I will be tasked with teaching.


I wanted to share my process of transitioning from an Algebra teacher to a trainer with you in hopes that if there is anyone else out there who is apprehensive about the new technology you are learning for your job or you are considering making a change in your career,  or if you are just feeling overwhelmed with whatever the task may be - you can stop by from time to time for some motivation and quick tips. 


As I have been learning all about Power BI, I have come across some different ways of thinking and explaining the content that I haven’t seen before. I think this is because I am a former math teacher and always like to think of ways to relate information to others that aren’t always the conventional method. For example, when I learned about merging queries this week I immediately thought about Venn diagrams. Well, that is not a novel idea as I found a few blog posts about it as well as some who teach it without Venn diagrams and use join diagrams instead.

I know I will soon be a trainer in a room full of 30-60 professionals who will be hearing about merging queries for their first time and my brain started spinning of how I introduce Venn diagrams to my 7th grader to make it as easy as possible.

I’ve got some plans to flesh out this method, and I’ll probably be writing about it in my next blog post.

Comments

  1. This is fantastic, I have always loved/admired the way Knight brother's reached out to local talent and groomed people to succeed. I have had chance to see someone's first hand experience from being an English professor to a Business Intelligence Developer under their supervision. Mr. Peterson, now that you let this secret out, I am coming to you with all my Power BI questions and issues :) I am sure you will excel in this role! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. Peterson, this is Audrey! Artin, Michael, and I are planning on reading your blog, so you'd better keep it updated! :D
    We hope you're doing well, and have fun with your new job! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you three. I miss our days of Algebra 2 classes. You will see a post her about once a week so feel free to learn with me ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Practice To Trim Before Removing Duplicates or Merging In Power Query Editor

In last week’s blog, I wrote and did a video about how to remove duplicate records and keep the most recent entry as long as a date column was part of the data source.   I came across the scenario while giving training on Power BI with my company Pragmatic Works.   See the video below:     This week, while doing another two-day training I came across a different scenario from a follow-up conversation from day 1.   I had explained how to remove duplicate records and one of the students started working on a Power BI project she has for her company.   On day 2 the student informed me that her remove duplicates step was not working.   I said that is odd and I asked to see the data.   In one of her table visuals, I could see that it appeared that a few of the records had duplicates based on the name column.   After further investigation though, we figured out the culprit.     She had done all the steps correctly, but it was a data integrity issue.   In her data source, the perso

Relating "Related Tables" to Baseball because I Miss Sports

I miss sports. In particular, I miss baseball. Between learning more Power BI functions and the ins-and-outs of DAX, I've turned to Netflix to fill the deep caverns left in my soul since baseball season has been postponed. And as a result, I've thought more about tigers and big cats more than I ever have in my life. I know ALL about Carol Baskins and am fully on board for a spin-off centering on locating her lost husband. I've googled "is it really legal to own a tiger in a residential area?" Without baseball in April, I am barely hanging in there (kinda like Joe Exotic's eyebrow ring). So, I am filling the sports-sized hole by using baseball stats in Power BI to demonstrate pulling data from multiple tables and consolidating it into one table.  Some of the data we want to consolidate also has to have some aggregations (which is fancy for "calculations") performed on it.  In this demo I will attempt to break down what is really going on

Create A Record Without A Form In Power Apps Using PATCH

 In Power Apps, forms are great to use to submit data to be recorded in your data source.  They do not take long to set up and the functions used to submit the data are fairly simple.  This simplicity, however, can come at a cost.  The cost of using a form is you don’t have a lot of design control in terms of layout and design.  If you don’t like the rigid structure of forms and want more freedom, then I’ve got the fix for you.  You need to become acquainted with the Patch function.   The Patch function allows you to update or create a new record in your data source.   The Patch function requires you to identify your data source, decide if you want to update or create a record, and then point to your controls on the app that contains the data you are submitting.   The coding is a little more involved compared to SubmitForm(FormName) that you use on forms.   The payoff, though, for learning a little more advanced code is you get complete design freedom for your data input controls.