Skip to main content

Things I Wish I Knew Then


If I knew then what I know now is a timeless adage that is most certainly universal. It is one that keeps popping up in my head the more and more I learn about Power BI's capabilities. I can't help but think back to my 15+ years of teaching as my context. 

I have two main goals for this week’s blog and demo.  Goal #1 is to show you how I created a report using Power BI with fairly minimal effort. Goal #2 is to walk you through the process of publishing to the service.

I wish I knew the basics of Power BI when I was in the teaching profession.  I spent countless hours analyzing my student’s data.  Sure, the district supplied us with some data analysis programs, but those only related to the mandated state and county tests forced upon the students.  I wanted to analyze my students’ performance on my assignments and assessments.  So the long process would begin downloading the grade book files from our school program into Excel, and then I would start the number crunching.

I wish I knew then what I know now.  With Power BI, all I would have had to do is set up the initial process of cleaning up the data in the Power Query editor, make a few measures, add some visuals to a report page and I would be set for the rest of the year!  When I think about how much time this would have saved, it makes me feel sick to my stomach. 

The report I have for you in this demo is pretty rudimentary data I put into an Excel file. After making a connection to the data, I did an unpivot, added a column from example, and made sure my data types were right.  Next, I was ready to make my report page.  All in all, it took me roughly 40 minutes to make, but now each time the Excel sheet is updated I won’t have to do a thing.


Anyone can publish to the service.  You do not need any kind of fancy license.  You just need to sign up for a Power BI free account.  If you are okay with not sharing your reports and dashboard with others then this is for you.  As a former teacher, this is all I would have needed back in the day.  The report I made I thought would be a great way for students to visualize their data every day when they came into class.  All I would need to do is share my screen with the rest of the students. 

 I hope that after watching this demo it may inspire any of you who are new to Power BI to think of ways to tailor this approach to your situation.

I know I wish I knew!

CLICK HERE FOR THE DEMO


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Practice To Trim Before Removing Duplicates or Merging In Power Query Editor

In last week’s blog, I wrote and did a video about how to remove duplicate records and keep the most recent entry as long as a date column was part of the data source.   I came across the scenario while giving training on Power BI with my company Pragmatic Works.   See the video below:     This week, while doing another two-day training I came across a different scenario from a follow-up conversation from day 1.   I had explained how to remove duplicate records and one of the students started working on a Power BI project she has for her company.   On day 2 the student informed me that her remove duplicates step was not working.   I said that is odd and I asked to see the data.   In one of her table visuals, I could see that it appeared that a few of the records had duplicates based on the name column.   After further investigation though, we figured out the culprit.     She had done all the steps correctly, but it was a data integrity issue.   In her data source, the perso

The Power of CALCULATE in Power BI

Last week in my blog and video I discussed how Power BI could have made my life as a teacher much easier.  It is not that Power BI can do things that I could not on my own.  It is the fact that Power BI could have saved me so much time.   This led me to some thoughts and questions.   How could I have impacted the students more in the classroom with this extra time?  Would teachers who were not analyzing student data due to time constraints now start?  How can I make the data tell my students a story that gives them an accurate picture of their progress?   That last question is what leads to this week’s blog.   Many times the metrics (which is just a fancy word for "numbers") of what we want to show are easy to do by hand with a basic math background.  Although easy, it can be very time consuming when dealing with different groups of data: like 6 periods of students instead of 1 period. When we want to do these calculations quickly with minimal effort in Power BI it is not

Relating "Related Tables" to Baseball because I Miss Sports

I miss sports. In particular, I miss baseball. Between learning more Power BI functions and the ins-and-outs of DAX, I've turned to Netflix to fill the deep caverns left in my soul since baseball season has been postponed. And as a result, I've thought more about tigers and big cats more than I ever have in my life. I know ALL about Carol Baskins and am fully on board for a spin-off centering on locating her lost husband. I've googled "is it really legal to own a tiger in a residential area?" Without baseball in April, I am barely hanging in there (kinda like Joe Exotic's eyebrow ring). So, I am filling the sports-sized hole by using baseball stats in Power BI to demonstrate pulling data from multiple tables and consolidating it into one table.  Some of the data we want to consolidate also has to have some aggregations (which is fancy for "calculations") performed on it.  In this demo I will attempt to break down what is really going on