Skip to main content

What is a Power App?

I started my journey of switching careers from a math educator of 16 years over to becoming a technology trainer focused on Power BI.  A few months in, I was given the opportunity to also learn how to train clients on Power Apps.  The first thing I thought was,  “What in the world is a Power App?  Is that like an app on my iPhone?”  How in the heck was I going to learn how to code and make an app?  Well, thanks to the company I work for I had so many resources to learn from and hit the ground running.  I’m a month or so into learning the basics and some more advanced functions of making a Power App. 

 After learning some of the basics of what a Power App can do, I immediately thought, “Gosh, I wish I knew this before now!”  This revolutionary program would solve a critical hurdle at my former school.   We had the problem of not being able to locate a student during lunch.  Wait…. that didn’t sound right! I swear we didn’t lose them.   The school specializes in “college prep” so many of the students would go to another teacher’s classroom during lunch to get extra help rather than going to the cafeteria.  Or a student may spend lunch in another teacher’s classroom just to volunteer his or her time and help out.  This is great, right?  Students can receive extra help from teachers and also able to volunteer their time to help out teachers.  Well, what seemed to be a blessing turned into a problem for our front office and security.  Parents would come in during lunch to check their child out of school due to a doctor’s appointment or to drop off the project their 8th grader left at home, and our front office couldn’t locate them.  The student was supposed to be in the cafeteria, but they were at a “lunch and learn” on the other side of campus. 

 

As a faculty, we brainstormed solutions on how to report a student’s whereabouts.  When you have over 60 faculty members who have a wide range of technology backgrounds -some need help checking their email and others design interactive web pages for their students-  you can see where there could be some frustration.  I wish I knew then what I knew now.  An app would easily accomplish our mission without scaring those with minimal tech background.

 

Over the next month or two, I would like to share a session at a time of how I developed an app for my former school.  If you are new to Power Apps or even have some basic experience I invite you to follow along with me.  I will break everything down to the most basic level along with putting some more advanced tricks and coding in as well for those who want to take it a step further.  Even if a “Check-In” app might not be what you want to design, the coding and best practices I use will hopefully help you along your journey.

 

In this Session 1 Video, I will show you a few things we will need to get set before we start our adventure.

1)      How to sign up for a Power Apps license

2)      The general layout of the Power App platform

3)      Setting up our data sources

4)      The overall goal of what our app will look similar to when we are done


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Practice To Trim Before Removing Duplicates or Merging In Power Query Editor

In last week’s blog, I wrote and did a video about how to remove duplicate records and keep the most recent entry as long as a date column was part of the data source.   I came across the scenario while giving training on Power BI with my company Pragmatic Works.   See the video below:     This week, while doing another two-day training I came across a different scenario from a follow-up conversation from day 1.   I had explained how to remove duplicate records and one of the students started working on a Power BI project she has for her company.   On day 2 the student informed me that her remove duplicates step was not working.   I said that is odd and I asked to see the data.   In one of her table visuals, I could see that it appeared that a few of the records had duplicates based on the name column.   After further investigation though, we figured out the culprit.     She had done all the steps correctly, but it was a data integrity issue.   In her data source, the perso

Relating "Related Tables" to Baseball because I Miss Sports

I miss sports. In particular, I miss baseball. Between learning more Power BI functions and the ins-and-outs of DAX, I've turned to Netflix to fill the deep caverns left in my soul since baseball season has been postponed. And as a result, I've thought more about tigers and big cats more than I ever have in my life. I know ALL about Carol Baskins and am fully on board for a spin-off centering on locating her lost husband. I've googled "is it really legal to own a tiger in a residential area?" Without baseball in April, I am barely hanging in there (kinda like Joe Exotic's eyebrow ring). So, I am filling the sports-sized hole by using baseball stats in Power BI to demonstrate pulling data from multiple tables and consolidating it into one table.  Some of the data we want to consolidate also has to have some aggregations (which is fancy for "calculations") performed on it.  In this demo I will attempt to break down what is really going on

Create A Record Without A Form In Power Apps Using PATCH

 In Power Apps, forms are great to use to submit data to be recorded in your data source.  They do not take long to set up and the functions used to submit the data are fairly simple.  This simplicity, however, can come at a cost.  The cost of using a form is you don’t have a lot of design control in terms of layout and design.  If you don’t like the rigid structure of forms and want more freedom, then I’ve got the fix for you.  You need to become acquainted with the Patch function.   The Patch function allows you to update or create a new record in your data source.   The Patch function requires you to identify your data source, decide if you want to update or create a record, and then point to your controls on the app that contains the data you are submitting.   The coding is a little more involved compared to SubmitForm(FormName) that you use on forms.   The payoff, though, for learning a little more advanced code is you get complete design freedom for your data input controls.